Sautéed Mung-beans with Spinach
Sauteed Mung Beans with Spinach is a simple yet nice tasting Filipino vegetable dish. This is usually eaten as a main dish along with warm white rice. Some versions use fish, while there are others that make use of thin slices of pork.
You will need:
1 cup of mung-beans (soak mung beans in water for 24 hours to soften it before cooking)
1 medium-size onion; chopped
2 cloves chopped garlic
Salt and pepper
Bag of spinach (small bag)
2 pints of water
- Heat oil.
- Lightly fry onions and garlic till soft. Do not burn.
- Add softened mung-beans. Stir.
- Pour water. Bring to boil. Careful not to let the water dry up on mung-beans. You can add more water if you prefer the mixture to be “soupy”.
- Once the water had reduced and mung-beans have been cooked, season with salt and pepper.
- Add spinach last as it cooks quickly.
- Serve with rice, bread or on its own.
Alternatively: you can add a choice of meat (deboned). Fry them first then add onions and garlic. Proceed as before.